What's Your Question?
Your Guide to Ontario Weather
Ontario is the second largest province in Canada. It has forests covering about 65 percent of its land, and water covering another 20 percent. Ontario’s weather changes with the seasons, so plan accordingly if you plan to spend time there.
Overview of Ontario Climate
Ontario’s year-round climate is termed “continental,” which means that the winter weather is cold and snowy and the summer weather is hot and humid. Spring and autumn are milder versions of summer and winter. The Great Lakes control some of the weather patterns, preventing drastic temperature changes and causing more precipitation near the water.
Springtime in Ontario
Springtime in Ontario can be cool and rainy. In early spring, daily highs tend to be in the lower 50s. But by the end of spring, temperatures might climb close to 70, or even higher. Rainfall during March typically approaches three inches, but in April and May the rainfall tends to dwindle.
Although Ontario weather tends to be somewhat unpredictable, it’s best to plan on hot and humid weather during the summer months. Ontario locations away from the Great Lakes tend to be hotter than the areas bordering the water. Heat waves are not out of the question either. As summer advances, it’s typical for the weather to become even more hot and humid.
Typical Ontario Autumns
Days get shorter in autumn, which also brings cool and crisp days. The leaves on deciduous trees turn color and eventually fall. Wet weather tends to return as well, and in southern parts of Ontario, rain will fall. In northern Ontario, snow isn’t out of the question, even in October. Meanwhile, November is the wettest month of autumn.
Winters can be bitterly cold in Ontario. Those living in this province tend to be hearty enough to withstand the cold and snow, which comes frequently during the winter. In many areas, such as London, Ontario, the temperature rarely rises above freezing during the winter. Temperatures often drop into the subzero digits thanks to the Arctic air currents that blow through the province regularly.
The areas closest to the Great Lakes often get a little reprieve from winter weather due to the heat given off by the water. It’s not unusual for these areas to have milder winters than those experienced in northern Ontario.
A snow belt exists in Ontario, stretching along the southern and southeastern sides of the Great Lakes. Some areas had a record snowfall in December of 2010, receiving more than 40 inches of snow in 48 hours.
MORE FROM QUESTIONSANSWERED.NET
1700 Coursera Courses Still Fully Free!
Coursera’s New Deal with Google Could Cost the Company Millions
According to Coursera CFO, the new terms represent a significant “shift”. Let’s dig into the numbers.
- EIT Food’s Course Review: From Waste to Value – How to Tackle Food Waste
- 10 Best Bookkeeping Courses to Take in 2023
- FutureLearn’s Turbulent Year Culminates in Price Hike as CEO Departs
- 14 Best Free CSS Layout Courses to Take in 2023
-  The 250 Most Popular Online Courses of All Time
700+ Free Google Certifications
- computer science
Information Technology (IT) Certifications
Educación de calidad para todos: equidad, inclusión y atención a la diversidad
Introducción a la inversión bursátil
The Bible's Prehistory, Purpose, and Political Future
Organize and share your learning with Class Central Lists.
View our Lists Showcase
University of Toronto Courses
One of the world's leading universities, U of T offers world-class academics, research and student life in one of the most vibrant cities in the world.
- With certificate (50)
- Free course (52)
- University course only (60)
- Beginner (32)
- Intermediate (8)
- Advanced (3)
- 1-5 hours (0)
- 5-10 hours (4)
- 10+ hours (56)
- Health & Medicine (10)
- Business (8)
- Computer Science (7)
- Engineering (7)
- Programming (7)
- Personal Development (6)
- Education & Teaching (5)
- Science (3)
- Data Science (3)
- Social Sciences (2)
- Mathematics (1)
- Humanities (1)
- English (57)
- Russian (1)
Learn to Program: The Fundamentals
Behind every mouse click and touch-screen tap, there is a computer program that makes things happen. This course introduces the fundamental building blocks of programming and teaches you how to write fun and useful programs using the Python language.
- 25 hours worth of material, 7 weeks long
- 6th Mar, 2023
- Free Online Course (Audit)
Introduction to Psychology
This course will highlight the most interesting experiments within the field of psychology, discussing the implications of those studies for our understanding of the human mind and human behavior. We will explore the brain and some of the cognitive abil…
- 23 hours worth of material, 12 weeks long
- 27th Mar, 2023
Bioinformatic Methods I
Large-scale biology projects such as the sequencing of the human genome and gene expression surveys using RNA-seq, microarrays and other technologies have created a wealth of data for biologists. However, the challenge facing scientists is analyzing and…
- 20 hours worth of material, 8 weeks long
- 13th Mar, 2023
Managing Your Health: The Role of Physical Therapy and Exercise
Managing Your Health: The Role of Physical Therapy and Exercise will introduce learners to the concepts and benefits of physical therapy and exercise. Over six weeks learners will explore: Why physical activity and exercise are important, Exercise and Ca…
- 13 hours worth of material, 6 weeks long
Introduction To Swift Programming
Introduction to Swift Programming is the first course in a four part specialization series that will provide you with the tools and skills necessary to develop an iOS App from scratch. By the end of this first course you will be able to demonstrate inter…
- 8-9 hours worth of material, 5 weeks long
Bioinformatic Methods II
- 19 hours worth of material, 8 weeks long
- 20th Mar, 2023
Introduction to GIS Mapping
Get started learning about the fascinating and useful world of geographic information systems (GIS)! In this first course of the specialization GIS, Mapping, and Spatial Analysis, you'll learn about what a GIS is, how to get started with the software you…
- 14 hours worth of material, 6 weeks long
iOS App Development Basics
iOS App Development Basics, the second course in the iOS App Development with Swift specialization, expands your programming skills and applies them to authentic app development projects. The topics covered in this course include Xcode basics, Core iOS a…
- 5-6 hours worth of material, 5 weeks long
GIS, Mapping, and Spatial Analysis Capstone
In this capstone course, you will apply everything you have learned by designing and then completing your own GIS project. You will plan out your project by writing a brief proposal that explains what you plan to do and why. You will then find data for a…
- 11 hours worth of material, 6 weeks long
Introduction to Self-Driving Cars
Welcome to Introduction to Self-Driving Cars, the first course in University of Toronto’s Self-Driving Cars Specialization. This course will introduce you to the terminology, design considerations and safety assessment of self-driving cars. By the end…
- 35 hours worth of material, 7 weeks long
Understanding and Managing the Stresses of Police Work
Policing has always been psychological challenging. On any given shift police officers may encounter a range of psychological challenges including domestic violence, interacting with people experiencing mental health issues, violent crime, even attendin…
- 2-3 hours worth of material, 3 weeks long
State Estimation and Localization for Self-Driving Cars
Welcome to State Estimation and Localization for Self-Driving Cars, the second course in University of Toronto’s Self-Driving Cars Specialization. We recommend you take the first course in the Specialization prior to taking this course. This course wil…
- 27 hours worth of material, 5 weeks long
GIS Data Acquisition and Map Design
In this course, you will learn how to find GIS data for your own projects, and how to create a well-designed map that effectively communicates your message. The first section focuses on the basic building blocks of GIS data, so that you know what types o…
- 20 hours worth of material, 7 weeks long
Visual Perception for Self-Driving Cars
Welcome to Visual Perception for Self-Driving Cars, the third course in University of Toronto’s Self-Driving Cars Specialization. This course will introduce you to the main perception tasks in autonomous driving, static and dynamic object detection, and…
- 31 hours worth of material, 6 weeks long
Spatial Analysis and Satellite Imagery in a GIS
In this course, you will learn how to analyze map data using different data types and methods to answer geographic questions. First, you will learn how to filter a data set using different types of queries to find just the data you need to answer a parti…
- 14 hours worth of material, 5 weeks long
Never Stop Learning.
Get personalized course recommendations, track subjects and courses with reminders, and more.
Certification Programs Online
Find the best online certificate programs.
13 Free Online Courses With Certificates in Ontario
There are many free online courses in Ontario, most of which are offered by universities and the others are sponsored by governments.
The government of Toronto pays 250 Canadian dollars per month to students who participate in these programs, this is to cover the expenses the students may make while attending the programs.
Most of the courses in this article are fully delivered online, they are also free and students can get certificates once they finish any of the courses. The duration of the courses ranges between one day and six months. For more information, see 545 free online courses with printable certificates .
Table of Contents
Institutions/Universities that Offer Free Online Courses in Ontario
- University of Toronto
- Working Skills Center
- Western University
- Humber College
- The University of Alberta
How to Study in Canada for Free
If you are looking to pursue your education in Canada, you have truly made a good choice and Canada is home to some of the best universities and learning institutions in the world. Below are some of the ways you can study in Canada for free:
- Enroll in Massive open online courses (MOOCs).
- Apply for free online courses, certificate programs, and degree programs.
- Apply for a scholarship from the university you are looking to study in.
- Apply for government-sponsored scholarships.
- Request for sponsorship or paid leave from your employer.
- Apply for study grants.
13 Best Free Online Courses with Certificates in Ontario
- Administrative assistant with desktop publishing diploma
- Crafting quality code
- Arctic development
- Supply chain clerk/analyst diploma
- Practicum in clinical trials management
- Drug development
- Making media accessible
- Understanding and managing the stress of police work
- Mental health and resilience for healthcare workers
- The city and you: find your best place
- Reading and understanding research information
Administrative Assistant With Desktop Publishing Diploma
Institution offering course: Working Skills Center. Duration of course: twenty weeks. Schedule of study per week: N/A.
This course was developed to help administrative assistants develop desktop publishing skills. Students who enroll in this course will learn to write eye-catching newsletters and publications, and they will also learn to create attractive graphic designs.
This course equips students with skills that enable them to work as receptionists, graphic designers, content creators, digital marketers, office secretaries, etc.
For more information about the course, see Administrative assistant with desktop publishing diploma .
Institution offering course: University of Alberta. Duration of course: five weeks. Schedule of study per week: five hours.
Science Literacy is a course developed by the University of Alberta to help increase the scientific awareness of the public by teaching people how to differentiate bad science from good science. This course is self-paced and has 23 hours of course materials.
There are five modules in this course: introduction to science, pseudoscience, critical thinking, scientific methods, and interpreting evidence. At the end of the course, students should be able to differentiate between fake statistics and real science.
For more information about the course, see Science literacy .
Crafting Quality Code
Institution offering course: University of Toronto. Duration of course: five weeks. Schedule of study per week: five hours.
This course was developed by the University of Toronto to teach people how to develop efficient programs through quality coding. This free course is flexible and is fully online. It is available in six languages: French, European Portuguese, Vietnamese, Russian, English, and Spanish.
There are five modules in this course: palindrome, testing programs, analyzing algorithms, plugging into python syntax, and passing functions as arguments.
For more information about the course, see Learning to program: crafting quality code .
Institution offering course: University of Alberta. Duration of course: four weeks. Schedule of study per week: two hours.
The Arctic Development course was developed by the University of Alberta to help people understand the role of natural resources in the regional development of the Arctic regions. The artic includes some parts of Canada, America, Russia, Norway, Denmark, and Finland.
In this course, students will learn how climate change and global warming are affecting the arctic regions. This MOOC is only available to English speakers and is meant for those with little knowledge of the topic.
For more information about the course, see Arctic development .
Supply Chain Clerk/Analyst Diploma
Institution offering course: Working Skills Center. Duration of course: 18 weeks. Schedule of study per week: 6 hours.
This course was developed to teach students and aid them to acquire the abilities they need to fit into many fields, including supply chain, analytics, research, and logistics.
This course is open to all but it was specially made to suit the needs of the clients of Toronto employment and social services (TESS).
For more information about the course, see Supply chain clerk/analyst diploma .
Practicum in Clinical Trials Management
Institution offering course: Western University. Duration of course: 15 weeks. Schedule of study per week: five hours.
Practicum in Clinical Trials Management is a hybrid online course; the first part of the course is delivered fully online while the second part requires field placement. The aim of this course is to give students a practical experience in clinical trial management.
Students will need a cumulative average score of 70% or more to enroll in the practicum. The course’s materials are available in English.
For more information about the course, see Practicum in clinical trials management .
Institution offering course: Western University. Duration of course: 12 weeks. Schedule of study per week: four hours.
The course teaches the process between drug development and clinical use. It covers topics on drug effectiveness testing, drug safety evaluation, and drug regulation.
There are four topics in the course:
- Legislation on the drug approval process
- Phases of drug and medical device development
- Pre-clinical and clinical activities required for drug approval
- Clinical trial outputs
For more information about the course, see Drug development .
Making Media Accessible
Institution offering course: Humber College. Duration of course: N/A. Schedule of study per week: N/A.
Making Media Accessible to the Faculty of Media and Creative Arts at the Humber College. This course has no enrollment requirements and is available in English.
- Representation of disability in media
- Video captioning
- Audio transcription
- Described video and live captioning for broadcast
- Alternative text for image descriptions
- How to make accessible documents and presentations
For more information about the course, see Making media accessible .
Understanding and Managing the Stress of Police Work
Institution offering course: University of Toronto. Duration of course: three weeks. Schedule of study per week: one hour.
This free online course was created by the University of Toronto, Ontario to help police officers cope with the mental and physical stress of police work. This course is ideal for policemen whose duties make them come across violent crimes and mentally disturbing events.
There are three topics in this course:
- Understanding the stress of police work
- NaRLy approach to managing stress
- It is all about the practice
This course is available in English and is meant for people with little knowledge of the topic. For more information about the course, see Understanding and managing the stress of police work .
Mental Health and Resilience for Healthcare Workers
Institution offering course: University of Toronto. Duration of course: six weeks. Schedule of study per week: one hour.
This course was developed to help healthcare workers withstand and minimize the psychological and physical stress involved in their job as healthcare workers. The course is only available in English and is ideal for people with little knowledge of the subject.
Healthcare workers, especially those on the frontline face a lot of stress in carrying out their duties, so this course has been created to teach them how they can resist mental health issues while increasing their efficiency.
There are six topics in the course:
- Understanding and managing anxiety
- Using the environment to support mental wellbeing
- The power of gratitude
- Building resilience
For more information about the course, see Mental health and resilience for healthcare workers
Institution offering course: Working Skills Center. Duration of course: 14 weeks. Schedule of study per week: three hours.
This course from Working Skills Center teaches how to effectively manage the affairs of a business using the traditional bookkeeping method. This course is instructor-led and students can get a certificate when they have finished the course.
Through this course, students will be able to record the financial transactions of a business, prepare financial statements, learn about special journals, ledgers, and worksheets, and know about all aspects of bookkeeping.
For more information about the course, see Bookkeeping .
The City and You: Find Your Best Place
Institution offering course: University of Toronto. Duration of course: six weeks. Schedule of study per week: three hours.
This course is meant to teach people how to choose the best locations in cities to suit their needs and purpose. In the course, students will also learn the difference it makes between living in cities and living in rural areas.
This course is made of six topics:
- Why cities matter
- A world of cities
- The creative city
- The new urban crisis
- Cities and the COVID-19 crisis
- Find your best place
For more information about the course, see The city and you: find your best place .
Reading and Understanding Research Information
In this course, you will learn how to read and comprehend data in research reports and publications. The program is ideal for research supervisors in the healthcare sector.
- Nature of the research hypothesis
- Methods for testing common research hypotheses
- Common reporting methods for statistical tests and procedures
- The limitations of statistical hypothesis testing
For more information about the course, see Reading and understanding research information .
- 15 Free Online Healthcare Courses With Certificates in Canada
- All 3 Tuition-Free Online Universities for International Students
- Top 23 Free Online Courses in the Philippines
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Free online education for adults living in Ontario
ACE Distance academic & career entrance
The Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) program is a grade 12 equivalency program for adult learners delivered in class by Ontario’s public colleges and online by the ACE Distance program. It prepares you to apply for and succeed in college postsecondary programs and apprenticeship training.
You will need your own professional email address, access to the Internet, and a reliable computer. If you do not have a computer, there are 78 access sites in communities across Ontario where you can use computers at no charge. For more information about locations, go to http://studyonline.ca/student-services/online-learning-centres
Step 1: Assessment You must complete an assessment that will indicate your current skill level in several areas. This assessment is called ESEE — Essential Skills for Employment and Education.
Step 2: Learn To Learn In order to participate in ACE Distance courses, all students must complete Learn to Learn (L2L). Learn to Learn is a 20-hour course that will introduce you to online learning and help you to decide if this is the right learning approach for you. The Learn to Learn course includes an assessment component that helps you determine if you have the computer skills, academic background and personality to succeed in ACE Distance courses.
Sioux-Hudson Literacy Council Good Learning Anywhere
Good Learning Anywhere provides free online learning for adult learners in Ontario to assist them in upgrading their reading, writing, math, computer and other Essential Skills so they can:
- be ready to work towards/pursue a Grade 12 credit course or Grade 12 equivalency (GED) or Mature Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition
- be better prepared to get a job, or perform better in an existing job
- enter a college, university, or apprenticeship program
- gain Essential Skills
- empower yourself to reach life goals
Good Learning Anywhere works with Indigenous communities, organizations and individuals to identify and meet their learning goals in our flexible online learning environment.
Deaf Learn Now
Deaf Learn Now is an online Literacy and Basic Skills program for Deaf and Hard of Hearing adults who live in Ontario.
The program is delivered by George Brown College and funded by the Ontario Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development. Deaf Learn Now is Ontario’s e-Channel program for Deaf and Hard of Hearing adults.
We commit to offering you a time-sensitive program, with individual planning options, ongoing support and open dialogue.
The LearningHUB offers online skills upgrading courses for English speaking adults to improve reading, writing, math and computer and other essential skills so they can:
- Prepare for new employment, retain your job, or advance your career
- Improve your self-esteem and confidence
- Build your communication and teamwork skills
- Understand workplace documents and digital technology
- Get ready to complete your Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalency
- Upgrade your skills to take a college, university or apprenticeship program
- Prepare for workplace certifications
- Set goals and manage personal change
This free program is available to adult learners across Ontario (19+). You will need a personal email address, regular access to a computer and the Internet to participate in online skills upgrading.
Le service de formation à distance pour adultes de l'Ontario
La [email protected] vous offre de la formation en ligne pour améliorer vos compétences en rédaction, communication orale, calcul, informatique ou gestion de votre apprentissage.
Vous pouvez suivre des cours :
- de groupe à des dates et heures précises;
- individuels selon votre horaire.
Peu importe le format de vos cours, un formateur vous accompagne tout au long de votre formation.
Tous nos cours sont gratuits et sont offerts aux francophones de l’Ontario.
Need help choosing a program?
For extra learner and practitioner resources, click here.
- Parents & Caregivers
- Educators & Counsellors
- School-College-Work Initiative
- Better Jobs Ontario
- Alumni Association
- Research & Innovation
- Centres & Labs
- Employment at Lambton
- Our College
- Research Data Management Strategy
- Canadian Learners
- International Learners
- Online Learners
- Fire Training
- Corporate Training
- All Services
- Academic Upgrading
- Accessibility Services
- Athletics & Recreation
- Business Services
- Campus Shop
- Community Employment Services
- Co-op & Career Services
- Counselling & Wellness
- EarlyOn Centre
- Esports Arena
- Indigenous Student Centre
- Massage Clinic
- eLearning Development
- Residence & Housing
- Salon & Spa
- Training for New Hires
- Registration Services
- Financial Aid
- Academic Dates
- How To Apply
- Confirm your Offer
- Transfer Opportunities
- Facility Rentals
- Campus Maps
- Tours & Program Advising
Registration is open for available online courses.
- Online Education
- Free Mini-Courses
- Food Service Worker
- Personal Support Worker
- Storyline eLearning Development
- Welding Fundamentals
- How to Apply
- Why Alicia Chose Lambton
- Tips for Success
- Current Students
- Important Dates
- Contact & Technical Support
- Request Info
Lambton College is responding to the educational needs of its community for free, competency-based learning modules that can be completed quickly.
To meet this need, we've developed free, non-credit mini-courses. They take about an hour to complete and they focus on specific skills.
View the listing of courses below and start learning for free today.
Guide to Online Learning for Students
Start your business from scratch 1
Healthy Choices, Healthy Life
All free courses.
- Advocacy for Patients and Families FREE-0110 Non-Credit
- Colour for Interior Spaces FREE-0100 Non-Credit
- Composting Food Waste FREE-0230 Non-Credit
- Cultivating Fitness in Kids FREE-0050 Non-Credit
- EDI: Ageism FREE-0300 Non-Credit
- Elevate Your Brand Online FREE-0070 Non-Credit
- Employability Skills: Career Exploration FREE-0360 Non-Credit
- Employability Skills: Interview Preparation FREE-0390 Non-Credit
- Employability Skills: Job Search and Networking FREE-0380 Non-Credit
- Employability Skills: Resumes and Cover Letters FREE-0370 Non-Credit
- Essential Food Safety FREE-0020 Non-Credit
- Evolution of Esports FREE-0010 Non-Credit
- Exploring Diversity & Equity: a Brief Introduction FREE-0280 Non-Credit
- Exploring Diversity & Equity: Acknowledging Unconscious Bias FREE-0290 Non-Credit
- Exploring Diversity & Equity: Disability Justice FREE-0310 Non-Credit
- Exploring Diversity & Equity: Feminism FREE-0320 Non-Credit
- Exploring Diversity & Equity: Intercultural Awareness FREE-0330 Non-Credit
- Exploring Diversity & Equity: LGBTQ Identities FREE-0340 Non-Credit
- Exploring Diversity & Equity: Mental Health FREE-0350 Non-Credit
- Exploring Diversity and Equity; Socioeconomics FREE-0250 Non-Credit
- Fantastic Photos 1: Composition FREE-0130 Non-Credit
- Fantastic Photos 2: Principles of Design FREE-0140 Non-Credit
- Guide to Online Learning for Students FREE-0260 Non-Credit
- Healthy Choices, Healthy Life FREE-0060 Non-Credit
- How Work Gets Done-Performance Management for Business Success FREE-0090 Non-Credit
- Intro to Micro-Credentials FREE-0440 Micro-credential
- Lambton College: Keys to Learning FREE-0240 Non-Credit
- Lambton Public Health: Staying Safe in a COVID-19 World FREE-0400 Non-Credit
- Mask Wearing During COVID-19 FREE-0410 Non-Credit
- Meaning of Money FREE-0030 Non-Credit
- Phone Photography As Art FREE-0080 Non-Credit
- Photography for Online Business FREE-0150 Non-Credit
- Recognizing Internet Dangers FREE-0040 Non-Credit
- Smart Devices: How Your Phone Talks to Everything FREE-0120 Non-Credit
- Start Your Business From Scratch 1: Entrepreneurship FREE-0160 Non-Credit
- Start Your Business From Scratch 2: Protect Yourself With the Right Structure FREE-0170 Non-Credit
- Start Your Business From Scratch 3: Planning for Success FREE-0180 Non-Credit
- Understanding Electricity 1: Alternating Currents Theory FREE-0190 Non-Credit
- Understanding Electricity 2: Inductors And Capacitors FREE-0200 Non-Credit
- Understanding Electricity 3: Resistive Reactive Circuits FREE-0210 Non-Credit
- Understanding Electricity 4: Three Phase Theory FREE-0220 Non-Credit
- Vaccine Communication for Healthcare Providers FREE-0430 Non-Credit
- Vaccines 101 FREE-0420 Non-Credit
Please be aware that it takes one business day for your registration to be processed and for you to have access to your eBit mini-course.
If you need technical support during the registration process or after you've begun your online mini-course, please contact [email protected] or 226-776-3096
Scheduled Maintenance Alert – Website Login and Registration
As a result of scheduled maintenance March 12 between 7:00 AM and 12:00 PM users may experience issues with login, registration and password reset functions which may impact access to content on our website that requires login, including online learning.
We offer online educational courses in a variety of topics – from health promotion to infection prevention and control. They’re convenient, too - you can access our courses anytime, anywhere. Get started by seeing our course offerings below.
Ready to start learning?
Visit our course catalogue, where you’ll find enrolment information and a list of our courses along with their descriptions and system requirements, as well as information for downloading courses.
To access our complete course catalogue, you must have a MyPHO account and be logged in.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) | How Do I Guide
Can’t find your answer? Please email your questions to [email protected] .
Online Learning Requirements
Our online learning system is compatible with Internet Explorer and Chrome. Courses will not work properly in Firefox or Safari browsers.
PHO also recommends the following for the best learning experience:
- Add “ lms.publichealthontario.ca ” to trusted sites.
- Disable pop-up blockers and enable “ Display mixed content ” in browser security settings for trusted sites.
- Clear temporary internet files and browsing history before launching courses.
- IPAC courses are not compatible with mobile phones and tablets. Please complete IPAC courses using a desktop computer or laptop.
- Do not pause courses for an extended period of time. Online learning will time out after 20 minutes of inactivity. The courses will continue to work, but the results will not be recorded in your learning profile.
- Allow course pages and videos time to load and wait until narration completes before selecting “ Continue ” from each page.
Find Information On...
Health promotion – online learning.
Learn about health promotion courses covering health promotion foundations, health equity and health promotion capacity building.
Infection Prevention and Control – Online Learning
Looking to build or expand your knowledge in IPAC best practices? Check out our courses on IPAC.
- The Ontario Public Health Convention (TOPHC)
- Media Centre
Don’t have a MyPHO account? Register Now
You must be logged in and have the correct access level to access this product.
Login or Register
Start your academic journey
Click here to begin, what is ontariolearn .
It’s the most impressive collection of shared online post-secondary courses in North America, right at your fingertips. All 24 of Ontario’s publicly-funded colleges work together in OntarioLearn to offer you easy access to a wide variety of high-quality courses, programs and services online. Search our inventory to find your online course or program at a preferred start date, register with one of our member institutions offering it, and log in to our Portal for one-stop access to your learning.
It’s a connection to the courses you want and need, no matter where you live and no matter where it’s offered across Ontario. If you live in Sudbury, you can take a course taught by our instructor in Kingston. Live in London? Meet deadlines for our course facilitated in Toronto. And, we’re here to help with dedicated support specialists 24/7/365.
It’s a leader in the delivery of high-quality online education for more than 25 years. Whether you’re upgrading skills, working towards a micro credential, certificate, diploma, or degree, improving your job prospects or seeking specialized professional development, you’ll find the online courses and programs you’re looking for at OntarioLearn. You’ll be joining an extensive network of students who have chosen to study with us as OntarioLearn has supported nearly 1 million course enrollments since our early days as a start-up in 1994.
Start your Academic Journey
Also check out:
[email protected], free online courses.
Many organizations are providing free online courses for job seekers (or anyone) to benefit from. It is always a good time to learn something new, or sharpen your skills in a certain area. Take advantage of these free online learning resources available to you:
Literacy Council York-Simcoe: Offering a number of different online courses ranging from computer training to literacy/numeracy skills. www.skillsupgrading.ca/programs
FC Skills Accelerator: Offering online learning program designed to help you build the skills that will make you more employable. If you’re a job seeker in Ontario looking to upskill, reskill, or build skills from scratch, this online learning program let’s you earn industry-recognized certifications and unlock job opportunities. www.fcskills.ca
GCFLearn Free: From Microsoft Office and email, to reading, math, and more—GCFLearnFree.org offers more than 200 topics, including more than 7,000 lessons, more than 1,000 videos, and more than 50 interactives and games, completely free. www.gcflearnfree.org
University of Toronto: Offering a wide variety of free online courses through Coursera, including Mind Control: Managing Your Mental Health During COVID-19. coursera.org/utoronto
University of British Columbia: Offering a wide variety of free online courses through edX. edx.org/school/ubcx
Coursera: Offering a wide variety of free online learning and community resources during COVID-19 including Mental Health and Wellbeing, Cloud Technology, Spanish and other career development courses. blog.coursera.org/coursera-together-free-online-learning-during-covid-19/
CHA Learning: Offering two of their most popular express courses for free: Engage To Influence Change and Time Management. chalearning.ca
CPA Canada: Their blog has a running list of free reading material, webinars, and courses for CPA’s to sharpen your professional skills online. cpacanada.ca
Harvard University: Offering a list of over 50 free online courses. online-learning.harvard.edu
MIT: Offering a variety of free online courses through EDx. edx.org/school/mitx
Princeton University: Offering a wide variety of free online courses through Coursera. coursera.org/princeton
Stanford University: Offering a wide variety of free online courses through Coursera. coursera.org/stanford
Yale University: Offering a variety of free online courses through Coursera. coursera.org/yale
The Linux Foundation Training: Offering a wide range of free courses, webinars, tutorials and publications to help you explore the open source technology landscape. training.linuxfoundation.org
LinkedIn Learning: Learn in-demand skills with over 14,000+ online courses taught by real-world professionals. First month is free. linkedin.com/learning
General Assembly: A variety of free online courses in UX/design, coding, marketing, data and more. generalassemb.ly
Open Resources and Innovation Projects at the University of Toronto.
Open Courses (often called OpenCourseWare, OCW) are free and open digital publications of high quality college and university-level educational materials. These materials are organized as courses, and often include course planning materials and evaluation tools as well as thematic content. Open Courses are free and openly licensed, accessible to anyone, anytime via the Internet. You may have also heard the term MOOC (massive, open, online courses) to describe this kind of content.
● You can find open learning modules , funded by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development on our curriculum page.
● U of T is partnering with Coursera and EdX to pilot new open web-based courses and create new opportunities for hands-on learning in the classroom:
For more information on strategy, activities and evaluation see Open Course Development
● Coming soon: The University of Toronto iTunesU Channel
● The University of Toronto YouTube Channel features nearly 200 videos seen by more than half a million people so far: http://www.youtube.com/user/universitytoronto
- Eat and Drink
- Real Estate
- Things To Do
Ontario Universities Are Offering So Many Free Courses This Winter & Here Are 7 You Can Try
They don't even sound like slogs!
The University of Toronto. Right: McMaster University.
If you're looking to learn something new without worrying about student loans, you should consider taking one of these free Ontario university courses.
Believe it or not, reputable post-secondary schools allow people to learn for free each year, including the University of Toronto , Queen's University and McMaster University.
The no-payment-required courses cover a diverse range of topics, from exercise to enterprise selling, allowing participants the ability to choose the class that best matches their interests and goals.
So without further ado, here are seven free online courses being offered by universities this winter that actually sound interesting.
Behavioural Economics in Action
See on Instagram
School: University of Toronto
Start Date: Self-paced
Who Should Apply: Learn how to save "more money, eat healthy foods," and master the art of adulting.
Hacking Exercise For Health
School: McMaster University
Start Date: January 2, 2023
Who Should Apply: Those who wish to learn how to exercise better and design their own workouts.
School: Queen's University
Who Should Apply: Left-brained individuals that want to learn how to "conduct sales conversations."
Leadership Skills Development for Occupational Therapists
School: The University of Toronto
Who Should Apply: People who wish to "gain insights into their leadership potential, values and preferences" in the field of occupational therapy.
Who Should Apply: Those interested in exploring the structure of DNA and learning how it relates to human beings.
Strategic Account Management
Who Should Apply: Those interested in learning the "skills required to effectively maintain, retain and grow existing enterprise partnerships and customers."
Start Date: March 1, 2023
Who Should Apply: Leaders who are looking to improve their organizational performance and enhance their ability to work across silos.
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- Ontario Jobs - Narcity ›
- 7 Ontario Remote Jobs That Will Pay You Up To $150K Without Too Much Experience ›
- Ontario Universities Are Offering So Many Free Courses & Here Are 6 You Can Try ›
- These Canadian Universities Have Free Courses You Can Take Online & Learn Something Useful - Narcity ›
- A TikToker Called UofT The 'Harvard Of The North' & People Have A Lot Of Thoughts (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
Share this article
© All rights reserved, Narcity Media Inc.
- Hubspot Blog
Oh no! We couldn't find anything like that.
Try another search, and we'll give it our best shot.
46 Best Free Online Courses For Whatever You Want to Learn
Published: December 01, 2022
Whether you want that job promotion or to sidestep into a new field, you'll need to commit to learning new skills. One of the best ways you can do that is by taking free online courses.
Blog posts and podcasts are great starting points for exploring a particular topic. But online business courses will provide you with the time and space you need to explore a topic in depth and truly master a new skill. Plus, most courses are made up of on-demand videos and exercises that you can progress through at your own pace.
Below, we've gathered the best free online business courses. These cover the main business skills you'll need to advance in today's rapidly changing workplace — from digital marketing and coding to selling, managing conflicts, and more. Keep reading to become an expert in whatever subject you feel can best help you succeed.
If you'd prefer, click on one of the following topics to jump straight to courses regarding that topic in particular:
- Best Free Online Courses Overall
- Fundamental Marketing
- Content Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Personal & Professional Development
- Business & Finance
Free Online Courses
Learning new skills can be both time-consuming and challenging. In fact, according to Josh Kaufman, international bestselling author of The Personal MBA , it takes 20 hours to go from knowing nothing about a particular subject to being pretty good at it. Of course, if you want to become an expert, that takes even longer.
Online courses allow you to get a head-start on the fundamental skills you need to grow in your career or switch to a new field. Here are the absolute best ones:
- Fundamental Marketing : Inbound Marketing Certification by HubSpot Academy
- Content Marketing : Content Marketing Certification by HubSpot Academy
- Social Media Marketing : Social Media Marketing Course by HubSpot Academy
- Email Marketing : Cold Email Masterclass by Mailshake
- SEM : Google Ads by Google Skillshop
- Sales : Inbound Sales Certification by HubSpot Academy
- Ecommerce : How to Start a Dropshipping Business by Shopify Academy
- Coding : Intro to HTML and CSS by Udacity
- Personal & Professional Development : Conquering the Fear of Public Speaking by Udemy
- Design : Graphic Design Course by HubSpot Academy
- Business & Finance : The Fundamentals of Business by Smartly
- Writing : Good with Words: Writing and Editing by University of Michigan
- Communication : Communication Skills - Persuasion and Motivation by Alison
- Entrepreneurship : How to Build a Startup by Udacity
- Humanities : Introduction to Digital Humanities by Harvard University
- Languages : Basic Spanish 1: Getting Started by the Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
Ready to start developing your skills? Let’s take a look at the best courses below.
Free Fundamental Marketing Courses
1. inbound marketing certification by hubspot academy.
Length: 4-5 Hours
From attracting leads to engaging prospects and delighting customers, this course covers the fundamentals of what inbound marketing is all about. It’s ideal for new graduates who’d like to go into marketing or for any experienced professional who’s considering shifting into a marketing career. It will give you the foundational knowledge you need to move into any marketing job .
- New marketing professionals
- Experienced non-marketing professionals shifting into marketing
2. Build Your Web Presence by Google Digital Garage
Length: 30-60 Minutes
Learn the basics of websites, local business listings, review sites, social media, mobile apps, and more. This course is a helpful introduction to making your business visible online without delving too deeply into the specifics. We recommend it for small business owners and marketers just starting out in their careers.
- Small business owners
- New marketing professionals at small businesses
3. Google Analytics for Beginners by Google Analytics Academy
Length: 4-6 Hours
This course shows new Google Analytics users how to create an account, implement a tracking code, and set up data filters. You'll learn how to navigate the Google Analytics interface and reports, and set up dashboards and shortcuts. We recommend this course for both beginner and advanced marketers who need a refresher on Google Analytics or need more advanced instruction.
- Marketing professionals at every level
Free Content Marketing Courses
4. content marketing certification by hubspot academy.
Length: 6-7 Hours
Power your business with remarkable content. This course will teach you how storytelling, content creation, repurposing, and promotion come together to build a content marketing machine that grows your business, and your career. While every professional will benefit from taking the content marketing certification course, it’s especially recommended for new content writers and content managers.
- New content marketers, content writers, and content managers
- Experienced non-marketing professionals moving into a content marketing role
5. Viral Marketing and How to Create Contagious Content by Coursera
Ever wondered why some things become popular, while other things don't? This course explains how things catch on, and can help you apply those ideas to become a more effective marketer. This is a good course to take if you feel your marketing efforts aren’t yielding the results you want or aren’t becoming as widespread as you’d like.
While individual contributors would benefit from taking this course, marketing managers who have a hand on ideation and strategy would most benefit from the knowledge they gain.
- Mid- and senior-level marketers with a hand on strategy and ideation
- Brand managers of all levels
6. Online Video Marketing Course by HubSpot Academy
Length: 2 Hours
This online video marketing training will teach you how to get started with online video marketing to better attract, engage, and delight your audience. It’s an excellent course for individual contributors with a hand on video creation and content creation. Managers would also benefit from taking the first course, “How to Create a Successful Video Marketing Strategy,” if they’ve not yet established a video marketing strategy.
- Video and content marketers getting started with video marketing
- Marketing managers who want to start a video marketing strategy
Free Social Media Marketing Courses
7. social media marketing course by hubspot academy.
This course provides you with everything you need to build a social media strategy — including tools to help you attract new customers, build loyalty, and shape a positive conversation around your business. It’s a great fit for marketers of all levels who need a strong foundation on social media marketing.
- Marketers of all levels delving into social media marketing
- Business owners who want to create a social media marketing strategy
Once you’ve completed this overarching social media marketing course, you can then jump into the following channel-specific courses.
- Facebook Marketing (~1.5 Hours) : Facebook is a huge platform, ripe with marketing opportunity. Learn how to develop an effective marketing strategy using Facebook that covers all the bases.
- Twitter for Business Marketing (~2 Hours) : You know Twitter beyond the basics, and now it's time to bump it up a notch. In this course, you'll learn the advancements in building and launching a successful Twitter marketing strategy.
- Instagram Marketing (~2.5 Hours) : An Instagram marketing and advertising strategy is one of the most powerful ways to connect with customers and drive marketing impact. This course takes you from the beginning to the end of planning an Instagram marketing strategy.
- YouTube Marketing (1.5-2 Hours) : HubSpot's course in YouTube Marketing is an in-depth, expansive set of tools and lessons that offer successful strategies to grow a monetized, optimized YouTube channel. It’s ideal for social media managers and anyone who would be creating videos for your company’s YouTube channel.
8. Introduction to Social Media Strategy by Skillshare
Whether you're looking to foster brand awareness, increase website traffic, or drive sales, this course can teach you how to craft a social media strategy to achieve your goals on Facebook and Twitter. From finding your voice to buying paid advertising, this course walks you through a proven process for creating custom social strategies. It’s ideal for new marketers who need a quick refresher or overview.
Note: Skillshare offers community members free access to its courses for 14 days — you'll need to sign up as a member to access the class for free.
9. Video Storytelling for Social Media by Social Creators
Length: 5 Days
This crash course is set up like a challenge. The goal? Help you make high-quality videos with your iPhone or Android device so you can start vlogging and share engaging videos on your social media accounts. It’s ideal if you’re planning to market your brand or business over video-based channels such as Instagram or TikTok, and it’s specially a good fit if you don’t want to spend money on expensive video gear.
- Video marketers and content creators wanting to create storytelling videos
- Freelance bloggers and content creators wanting to create more videos
10. How to Create an Instagram Content Plan by Later
Length: 1-1.5 Hours
This video series is a great introduction to the Instagram world. You'll learn how to gain more followers, build a community, and create content that drives true engagement. It’s ideal for you if you’re interested in finding influencer partners on Instagram and build a visual identity.
- Marketers at small businesses without an Instagram strategy
- Freelance bloggers and online content creators
11. Free Social Media Analytics Course for Beginners by Quintly
Length: 10-11 Hours
This class will cover the basic principles of social media analytics, and is helpful both for beginners and for marketers who want to refresh their knowledge. It aims to help anybody involved in social media analytics, whether you're working for a brand, an agency, or the media. We highly recommend this course for new social media marketing managers who don’t know how to measure analytics for their company’s social channels.
- New social media marketing managers who are unfamiliar with social media analytics
- Any marketer who’s interested in specializing in social media marketing
12. Twitter Flight School by Twitter
Twitter Flight School isn’t so much as a course as it is a school for both advanced and beginner Twitter marketers. Whether you're a social media coordinator or the director of social media marketing at an enterprise firm, Twitter Flight School’s courses will help you build the knowledge and skills you need to scale and improve your Twitter marketing strategy.
The courses have been designed to help you level up your expertise with advertising on Twitter, so that you can succeed. We don’t recommend it if you’re not planning to extensively use Twitter as a marketing channel.
- New and experienced social media professionals who are planning to use Twitter extensively
- Any marketer or professional who wants to specialize in Twitter marketing
Free Email Marketing Courses
13. cold email masterclass by mailshake.
Whether you use cold emails to connect with influencers, build your personal brand, find mentors, or grow your network, there's no underestimating their power. Sujan Patel reveals eight lessons that will show you how to turn theory into practice, tapping into existing cold email best practices and deploying them in a way that's both efficient and effective.
It’s not applicable just to cold emails, either. You can use the course to learn email writing best practices that will serve you as you market to leads and prospects who’ve subscribed to your email list.
- Any marketer or professional who’s planning to email leads or other professionals in their network
- Any professional who wants to improve their cold emailing skills
14. Email Marketing Certification by HubSpot Academy
Length: ~3.5 Hours
Email marketing is a necessity to learn. By completing HubSpot's course, you'll walk away with expansive knowledge in all things email marketing, from templates to testing, as well as a certification to add to your resume. This is an excellent follow-up to the Cold Email Masterclass, allowing you to specialize specifically in email marketing. You’ll learn to segment your user base and optimize email deliverability rates.
- Marketers of all levels who are planning to do email marketing
Free SEM Courses
15. google ads by google skillshop.
If you don't know where to start with Google's ad products, Google’s Skillshop for Google Ads may be for you. You'll figure out where to get started in mini, bite-sized lessons or jump straight into the certification process. Topics include programmatic ads, search ads, discovery ads, and video ads. If you already have experience with Google Ads, you can forgo taking the courses and instead apply your existing knowledge using a series of exercises.
- Marketers of all levels who want to further their knowledge or practice their existing Google Ads knowledge
- Business owners who want to learn how to set up Google Ads
16. SEO Certification Course by HubSpot Academy
Length: 2-3 Hours
Interested in building traffic, but unsure about a successful strategy? Our SEO crash course eliminates the pains of navigating a concrete SEO strategy and provides you with the tools to implement a winning one. Because it starts from a basic starting point, we recommend it for beginner marketers only. If you’ve been in a digital marketing role for a few years, chances are you’re familiar with most of this information.
- New marketers who want to learn the basics of SEO and improve their SEO skills
- Experienced non-marketing professionals who want to learn SEO
Free Sales Courses
17. inbound sales certification by hubspot academy.
Length: 2-2.5 Hours
In this certification course, you'll learn how to grow your sales pipeline, close more leads, and grow your career. It’s ideal for new sales professionals or experienced salespeople who need a refresher or formal training in core sales skills.
- New and aspiring salespeople
- Experienced sales professionals who need a refresher in sales fundamentals
Once you complete this initial certification, you can then dive into more specific topics such as sales enablement and management training.
- Sales Enablement Certification (Length: 4-5 Hours) : In this self-paced online course and exam, you'll learn how to align marketing and sales for optimal efficiency. You’ll learn to bridge the gap between marketing and sales teams with strategies and tactics from sales leaders.
- Sales Management Training (Length: 3 Hours) : Learn how to define your target market, create a scalable sales process, and build training, coaching, hiring, and on-boarding programs to help your sales team grow.
18. The Art of Sales: Mastering the Selling Process Specialization by Northwestern University
Length: 6 Months
This course is designed to make you more effective and efficient as you pursue your sales goals. Understand how to stand out in the crowd, attract customers, and build support for initiatives within your company. Plus, the most important art in sales is knowing how to get a "yes." This course teaches this, as well as methods to improve efficiency as a salesperson.
- Sales managers who want to improve the performance of their sales team
- Experienced salespeople looking to level-up their skills
19. The SMART Sales System by SalesScripter
Length: 16-18 Hours
This program is designed to give you a strategy-backed process. It covers building a value proposition, asking the right questions, closing more effectively, and more. You'll sell more, and even better — selling will become more fun. After you’ve watched all of the videos in the training course, you’ll have an overview of the most important topics in sales.
- New sales professionals trying to get a high-level overview of the most important sales topics
- Sales managers who want to level-up their team
Free Ecommerce Courses
20. how to start a dropshipping business by shopify academy.
Length: 1.5-2 Hours
Dropshipping is a business model where you don’t keep any products in stock at your own warehouses, but rather ship them directly from the manufacturers’ or suppliers’ warehouses. It’s one of the best ways to start an ecommerce business with few overhead and startup costs. In this course, Corey Ferreira shares his methods for finding a product to sell, testing its popularity, and building an unforgettable brand.
- Anyone who’d like to start an ecommerce business with a dropshipping model
21. Product Photography for Ecommerce by Shopify Academy
In this course, you'll learn how to set up your own home studio and take product photos with your smartphone or digital SLR. This is an ideal course for anyone who’s planning to sell the products they make in their online store. If you’re starting a dropshipping business, you can skip taking this course.
- Ecommerce sellers who need photos of the products they sell
- Marketers at small ecommerce businesses
22. Ecommerce Marketing Training by HubSpot Academy
If you work for an ecommerce business and want to implement an inbound marketing strategy, this is a good course for you. In this short crash course, you'll learn the basics of selling more online, and how that fits into an inbound strategy. We recommend taking this course once you’ve got the basics down, such as how to run a dropshipping business.
- Ecommerce sellers who want to grow their business
23. Email Marketing for Ecommerce by MailChimp
Length: ~30 Minutes
Learn how to use automation, optimization, and personalization to boost your business through email. Once you’ve got the leads from your ecommerce website, it’s time to nurture them through email marketing. This course will run through the entire process. Due to its inclusion of advanced marketing topics such as A/B testing and segmentation , we recommend it for experienced marketers at an ecommerce retailer.
- Experienced marketers working at ecommerce businesses
- Freelance marketers with ecommerce clients
Free Coding & Developer Courses
24. intro to html and css by udacity.
Length: ~3 Weeks
In this course, you'll learn the fundamentals of HTML and CSS, two core web development languages, along with best practices and professional problem-solving techniques using Developer Tools. This online coding lesson offers easy-to-follow instructions, interactive quizzes, and a tested curriculum that can help anyone learn how to code.
- Marketers, salespeople, and freelancers wanting to learn HTML and CSS
Udacity offers a variety of other courses that can teach you to code. Once you’ve covered HTML and CSS, you can then dive into:
- Intro to Python Programming (Length: ~5 Weeks) : Get to grips with key computer science concepts in this introductory Python course. You'll learn by doing, and will build your own search engine and social network.
- Self-Driving Fundamentals: Featuring Apollo (Length: ~4 Weeks) : Through this course, you'll be able to identify key parts of self-driving cars and get to know Apollo architecture. You'll be able to utilize Apollo HD Map, localization, perception, prediction, planning, and control, and start the learning path of building a self-driving car. We recommend taking this course for fun.
25. Learn Java by Codecademy
Length: 25 Hours
Codecademy offers an excellent repository of coding courses. If you didn’t like Udemy’s HTML and CSS class, we highly recommend learning it from Codeacademy instead. One of the languages you can learn is Java, which can be used to create web applications, software-as-a-service products, and mobile apps.
Because it’s a more advanced programming topic, we only recommend it if you’re planning to start a computer science career or develop your own web app or SaaS.
- Any professional who’s interested in shifting into a developer role or code their own app
26. Introduction to iOS App Development, Xcode, and Interface Builder by Devslopes
Length: 10-15 Hours
This iPhone app development course will give you all you need to create your very own iOS app from the ground up. You’ll specifically learn how to create an app using XCode , Apple’s iOS app builder, and Interface Builder, which is a feature within Xcode. With clear video tutorials that are easy to follow, this course will get you up-to-date with the latest in iPhone app development trends.
- Any professional who’s interested in coding their own iOS app
27. Algorithms, Part I by Princeton University
Length: ~53 Hours
This course by Princeton University covers the essential information that every serious programmer needs to know about algorithms and data structures, with emphasis on applications and scientific performance analysis of Java implementations. Because algorithms are a more advanced coding topic, we only recommend it if you’re planning to shift into a programming career. If that doesn’t sound like you, start with Udemy’s HTML and CSS course instead.
- Any professional who’s interested in shifting into a programming career
28. Machine Learning by Stanford University
Length: ~60 Hours
The description of this course reads, “Machine learning is the science of getting computers to act without being explicitly programmed.” In other words, machine learning allows computers to act based on prior user input. Speech recognition and self-driving cars are examples of machine learning. If you want to create a web or mobile application that uses machine learning to improve the user experience, we recommend this course. This is an advanced coding topic that’s only recommended for current programmers.
- Programmers who want to get foundational knowledge in machine learning
Free Personal & Professional Development Courses
29. conquering the fear of public speaking by udemy.
We all fear public speaking — or, at the very least, feel a measure of anxiety whenever we have to give a speech or a presentation. This course will teach you techniques to overcome the fear of public speaking, as well as how to avoid feeling nervous before speaking publicly. It’s a short course, too.
- Anyone who wants to overcome the fear of public speaking
30. Learning How to Learn: Powerful Mental Tools to Help You Master Tough Subjects by Deep Teaching Solutions
Length: ~15 Hours
Whether you’re a student or a young professional, learning how to digest and access information is a key skill to succeed at both school and work. This delightfully “meta” course teaches you how to learn new subjects and retain information.
- Students of all levels who want to get better at retaining information
- Professionals of all levels who want to learn how to retain information
31. Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills by University of Michigan
Length: ~17 Hours
In this course created by the University of Michigan, you'll learn about and practice four key steps to a successful negotiation. While negotiation skills may be most often used at work, and specifically during a sales call or prior to signing an employment contract, it can also be used in your day-to-day and personal interactions.
- Professionals of all levels
32. The Manager's Toolkit: A Practical Guide to Managing People at Work by University of London
Length: ~29 Hours
This course gives you a practical guide to managing people at work. It doesn't matter whether you are a first-time manager in a shop or a middle manager in an office environment — the same skills apply to every workplace.
- Mid- to senior-level professionals moving into a managerial role
33. Career Success Specialization by University of California, Irvine
Length: ~2 Hours / Week (11 Months)
This series of courses will teach you project management skills, communication skills, time management skills, and financial skills — all of which are needed to succeed in today’s workforce. You’ll also learn business writing and negotiation skills. We recommend it for new graduates or anyone who’s still in college.
- New college grads or current college students
34. The Science of Happiness by University of California, Berkeley
Length: 4-5 Hours / Week (11 Weeks)
Feeling down because of the pandemic? We’re right there with you. This course by UC Berkeley will walk you through the concept of happiness from a scientific and psychological standpoint, and give you practical tips for boosting happiness when you’re feeling blue.
- Anyone who’d like to improve their happiness in work and life
35. The Science of Wellbeing by Yale University
Length: ~19 Hours
The purpose of this course is to not only learn what psychological research says about what makes us happy, but also to put those strategies into practice. It’s an excellent follow-up to UC Berkeley’s course above. It’ll help you rewire the way you think about happiness.
Free Design Courses
36. graphic design course by hubspot academy.
Need to become a graphic designer in less than an hour? This course by HubSpot Academy offers basic concepts in graphic design to create designs that accurately represent your brand. You can then translate these concepts to any tool of your choosing, including Adobe Illustrator, Canva, and even PowerPoint.
- Non-design professionals who need to learn the basics of graphic design
37. Learn Adobe Illustrator From Scratch by EduOnix
Adobe Illustrator is one of the best tools you can use for your graphic design projects. In this course by EduOnix, you’’ll learn how to master Adobe Illustrator with real world examples. We only recommend it if you have an active Adobe Creative Cloud subscription.
- Designers who need to learn how to use Adobe Illustrator quickly
Free Business & Finance Courses
38. the fundamental of business by smartly.
Length: 2-3 Hours / Week (6-8 Weeks)
Designed with input from business professors, Smartly's Fundamentals of Business course combines a self-guided software approach with collaborative online case studies and group projects. It's a flexible yet structured course for the modern professional who wants to learn the basics of business.
- Early-career professionals who want to start a business or move into executive roles
31. Stock Market Investing for Beginners by Udemy
Learn the basics of the stock market through comprehensive, interesting, and fun lectures. This is an essential course for anyone who’d like to invest and diversify their portfolio.
- Anyone who wants to start investing
32. Corporate Finance by New York University
New York University’s Corporate Finance course is a big-picture class. It looks at the financial principles that govern how businesses raise funds, invest those funds in assets and projects, and return those funds to investors. This would be a helpful course for both entrepreneurs and professionals considering starting a career in corporate finance.
- Professionals moving into executive roles
- Professionals interested in shifting into corporate finance
Free Writing Online Courses
33. good with words: writing and editing by university of michigan.
Length: 18-20 Hours
Good with Words: Writing and Editing prepares you to write strong prose from a grammatical, technical, and syntactical standpoint. This is an excellent option for anyone who’d like to strengthen their writing skills without necessarily diving into additional topics such as marketing or essay writing. It’s a great foundational course for any type of writing discipline, including fiction writing.
To take this course for free, click the “Enroll for Free” button. In the pop-up, click “Audit the course.” This will give you the option to view the course materials without paying for the certificate.
- Any professional who writes emails, social posts, articles, and web pages in their role
34. Business Blogging by HubSpot Academy
Business blogging is more than just writing and publishing content in the hopes you'll attract customers. In this course, you'll learn how to craft a blogging strategy that drives business growth, create quality blog content that customers love, and build a guest blogging strategy that's powered by SEO.
- Mid- to senior-level marketers who have a hand on their company’s marketing strategy
Free Communication Online Courses
35. communication skills - persuasion and motivation by nptel.
Length: 1.5-3 Hours
This course will introduce you to essential communication skills that aid persuasion, guide you through the differences between persuasion and manipulation, and show you how to use strong communication to motivate the people around you. These abilities will be a great boost for both your professional and personal relationships.
- Anyone who’d like to improve their communication skills
36. Conflict Management Specialization by University of California, Irvine
Length: 4 Months
With this series of courses by the University of California Irvine, you’ll learn listening skills, verbal and non-verbal communication skills, and how to assemble a conflict management plan likely to yield positive resolutions. While anyone would benefit from taking this course, it’s specially recommended for professionals in people-management roles.
- Mid- to senior-level professionals who manage teams or other people
- Anyone who’d like to improve their conflict management skills
Free Entrepreneurship Online Courses
37. how to build a startup by udacity.
In this course, Steve Blank provides insight into the key steps needed to build a successful start-up. You’ll learn the various types of business models, the parts of a value proposition, the concept of customer segmentation, and more. This is a top-to-bottom course that will give you the foundations you need for starting a business.
- First-time entrepreneurs
38. Business Strategy Specialization by University of Virginia
Length: ~6 Months
Develop your ability to think strategically, analyze your competition, recommend a positioning strategy, and create value. In this course, you'll explore the underlying theory and foundation of a successful business strategy, and gain the tools you need to understand that strategy.
- Entrepreneurs with an existing business they’d like to grow
39. Marketing Fundamentals: Who Is Your Customer? by Babson College
Length: 3-4 Weeks
Marketing Fundamentals: Who Is Your Customer? will help you discover how to acquire the right customers and grow your startup business. While it’s branded as a marketing course, it’s designed for entrepreneurs who don’t know how to begin marketing their new product or service, and who want to understand their target market. That said, it’s also a great course to take if you’re interested in going into marketing.
- Entrepreneurs without a marketing background
- Professionals with an interest in marketing
Free Humanities Online Courses
40. introduction to digital humanities by harvard university.
Length: ~7 Weeks
The term “humanities” encompasses a wide variety of disciplines and fields. Regardless of your favorite humanities subject, learning how to carry out research and visualize the subject using digital tools is essential if you’d like to progress in your career.
- Any professional who carries out research in the humanities
41. Modern Masterpieces of World Literature by Harvard University
Length: ~8 Weeks
Explore some of the world’s most salient literary masterpieces in Harvard’s Modern Masterpieces of World Literature course. You’ll get a taste not only of the English literary tradition, but of others around the globe, too.
- Any professional who’s interested in global literature
42. Global History Lab by Princeton University
Length: ~3 Months
If you’re in need of a history course, consider Princeton University’s Global History Lab. We recommend it for beginners who want an overview of history from the 14th century up until now. While the course is sometimes archived, you may be able to access it live and discuss the course materials with other current students.
- Any professional who’s interested in history
43. Gender and Sexuality: Applications in Society by the University of British Columbia
Length: ~6 Weeks
If you’re interested in studying gender from a theoretical and epistemological standpoint, Gender and Sexuality: Applications in Society is the course you need to take. It will give you an overarching overview of gender and sexuality through a variety of perspectives and lenses.
- Any professional who’s interested in gender and sexuality
Free Language Online Courses
44. basic strongish 1: getting started by the universidad politécnica de valencia.
Learning a new language is always a worthwhile investment, especially if you’re a global marketer or salesperson. This basic strongish course by the Universidad Politécnica de Valencia will help you establish a foundation for further learning.
- Any professional who’s planning to use strongish at work or for leisure
45. Mandarin Chinese Level 1 by MandarinX
If you’re planning to expand your business into the Asian market, then learning Mandarin is key, given that Mandarin is the most spoken language in Asia . It’s also a popular language for business. Mandarin Chinese Level 1 will give you the foundation you need to take more advanced Mandarin courses.
- Any professional who’s planning to use Mandarin at work or for leisure
46. Getting Started with French 1 by The Open University
Have you been wanting to learn French? Getting Started with French 1 will teach you the basic phrases you need to interact with others in a French-speaking environment. We highly recommend taking all of the courses in this series as a precursor for more advanced language study.
- Any professional who’s planning to use French at work or for leisure
Free Online Courses FAQ
Have questions about taking an online course? We’ve got you covered.
What courses are available free online?
All the courses listed on this page are available for free online, including:
- Inbound Marketing Certification by HubSpot Academy
- Online Video Marketing Course by HubSpot Academy
- Cold Email Masterclass by Mailshake
- How to Start a Dropshipping Business by Shopify Academy
- Intro to HTML and CSS by Udacity
Simply sign up on each platform and begin learning! We recommend you check out each provider’s full catalog to learn which courses are available for free.
What online courses are in demand?
Coding and other technical online courses are overall in high demand, which is attributable to the exponential growth rate of technical fields. Software developer jobs, for example, are projected to grow an average of 25% between 2021 and 2031 . That’s 20% higher than the average of all roles combined.
However, in-demand courses vary by field. For instance, if you’re looking to jumpstart a marketing career, then an SEO course is the best choice, as it’s one of the most in-demand skills in marketing.
Which certificate course is best?
The best certificate course ultimately depends on what you want to do. We recommend starting with a general certification course, then narrowing it down after you find out what you’d like to specialize in.
For instance, if you’re looking to get into social media marketing, you can pursue a digital marketing certification course , so that you understand the basics of digital marketing. Once you’ve mastered it, you can then get social media certified .
What is the best free online course platform?
For career-focused courses, we recommend HubSpot Academy or Coursera. For theoretical university-based courses, we recommend edX.
Where can I get free courses with a free certificate?
You can access free courses with a free certificate on HubSpot Academy and Google Skillshop . Most online course providers, such as Coursera and edX, charge for a certificate, but it varies by individual course.
Is an online certificate worth anything?
Yes! An online certificate is highly worthwhile. It will not only help your resume stand out, but it will ensure you’re adequately prepared to complete tasks at your desired role. Not only that, but getting an online certificate takes effort and consistency — two key attributes that will make you desirable to any employer.
Can you get a job with an online course?
You can get a job with an online course, but it’s important that you obtain a certification at the end of the course, built a portfolio of work, and showcase your newly learned skills with personal projects.
More and more employers are opening their hiring doors to candidates from non-traditional backgrounds — indeed, for most roles, a bachelor’s degree isn’t essential. If you leverage the wealth of online courses at your disposal, you can build a breadth of work that would rival that of any other candidates.
Learning is an investment that continues to pay.
Benjamin Franklin once said, “An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.”
That’s never been truer than it is today. With new technologies emerging at breakneck speeds, there's a palpable pressure to continuously upskill.
We hope you found the online business courses you need for the next step in your career — whether you're looking for a promotion or a sidestep into an entirely new field.
Whatever your reason, learning new skills will give you a competitive advantage in today's rapidly changing workplace. Plus, the more you invest in your learning, the better you'll grow.
If you're looking for one single place to learn how to take your career to the next level and/or grow your business, check out HubSpot Academy. It contains tons of free certified courses on everything from inbound and content marketing to social media and sales.
Editor's note: This post was originally published in January 2020 and has been updated for comprehensiveness.
Don't forget to share this post!
11 New Year's Resolutions You Should Actually Keep
5 Essential Skills Marketers Need to Succeed This Year [Infographic]
Budget Planning, Hiring, Training & More: The Complete 2017 Marketing Strategy Kit [Free Download]
The 34 Best Tools for Improving Your Writing Skills
How to Learn Anything Faster
11 Helpful Resources for Improving Your Business Skills
Learn to Code: 17 Handy Resources to Get Started
13 Valuable Skills You Can Teach Yourself for Free
The Anatomy of an Effective Marketing Brain [Infographic]
How to Be an Efficient & Effective Marketer (Without Losing Your Sanity)
Access all of HubSpot's free tools and training to grow your business, and your career.
Ontario is the second largest province in Canada. It has forests covering about 65 percent of its land, and water covering another 20 percent. Ontario’s weather changes with the seasons, so plan accordingly if you plan to spend time there.
Probate law in Ontario mandates that probate is necessary when the court needs to approve the vesting of assets of the deceased’s estate, Miltons Estate Law Firm explains.
Any Canadian citizen whose job requires notarizing documents can become a notary public. According to the Ministry of the Attorney General in Ontario, both lawyers and non-lawyers can apply to become a notary public.
Discover free online courses taught by University of Toronto. Watch videos, do assignments, earn a certificate while learning from some of the best
Institutions/Universities that Offer Free Online Courses in Ontario · University of Toronto · Working Skills Center · Western University · Humber
Free online education for adults living in Ontario · ACE Distance academic & career entrance · Sioux-Hudson Literacy Council Good Learning Anywhere · Deaf Learn
Free Mini-Courses · Lambton College is responding to the educational needs of its community for free, competency-based learning modules that can be completed
Top 8 Free Online Courses offered by Canadian Universities · Software Engineering Courses · How to Code Course · Human Resource Management Programme · Gender
We offer online educational courses in a variety of topics – from health promotion to infection prevention and control. They're convenient, too - you can access
Many organizations are providing free online courses for job seekers (or anyone) to benefit from. · · Literacy Council York-Simcoe: Offering a number of
Open Courses are free and openly licensed, accessible to anyone, anytime via the Internet. You may have also heard the term MOOC (massive, open, online
Ontario Universities Are Offering So Many Free Courses This Winter & Here Are 7 You Can Try · Behavioural Economics in Action · Hacking Exercise
Best Free Online Courses Overall; Fundamental Marketing; Content Marketing; Social Media Marketing; Email Marketing; SEM; Sales; Ecommerce